Sussex : 1:10,560 (Six-inches to one mile). First Edition : 1869-75.
The early engraved six-inch sheets are generally considered the finest maps the Ordnance Survey ever issued. The crisp black detail was later lost when other production methods were introduced.
The maps listed below are full sheets, with a mapped area of 24” by 36”. Publication dates are given for each sheet, with many bearing a blind stamp, dated only a few years after publication. Hence, these are very early printings of each sheet.
The early states showed only the named county, with the area of adjoining counties being blank. In the entries, if a sheet covers more than one county, the size of printed area (Hampshire) is noted, e.g. 1/3 full (of mapped detail).
Maps have previously been bound into an atlas, and therefore have a single vertical fold in the middle.
All maps are in very nice condition, possibly ever so slightly dusty.
Some have a small amount of water damage, mainly in the form of very light brown staining on the top and lower margins. This does not encroach upon the mapped area.
Postage in a tube will usually be about £3.
Sheets 6 to 82
6. Highfield Park, Groombridge, Eridge Castle, Hartfield. Slight staining to top margin.1878, £40.00.
7. Tunbridge Wells, Bayham Abbey, Frant. Slightly chipped top margin. Third of map blank.1878, £45.00.
8. Lamberhurst. Blank except for approximately 8 by 4 printed area. Slight staining to top margin.1877, £20.00.
16. Kidbrooke, Newbridge, Pippinford Park, Horsted Keynes. 1878, £70.00.
17. Lye Green, Hamsell, Rotherfield, Crowborough Town. Slight staining to lower margin and top right margin.1879, £75.00.
19. Scotney Castle, Flimwell, Ticehurst. Third of map blank. 1878, £45.00.
25. Nuthurst, Crabtree, Warninglid, Bolney, Cowfold. Ever so slight staining to top and lower margins. 1879, £75.00.
26. Brook Street, Paxhill Park, Scayneshill, Haywards Heath, Ansty, Cuckfield. Staining to top margin just overlaps neat line. 1879, £85.00.
27. Dame Hill, Nutley, Duddleswell, Maresfield, Fletching. Staining to top margin just overlaps neat line. 1878, £70.00.
28. High-Hurst Wood, Salter’s Green, Cowden, Iserthurst, Hadlow Down, Buxted. 1878, £75.00.
29. Mayfield, Stonegate, Burwash Wheel. 1878, £70.00.
30. Hurst Green, South Park, Robertsbridge, Burwash. 1878, £85.00.
31. Bodian, Northiam, Beckley, Ewhurst. One third blank. Slight staining to top and lower margins. 1878, £58.00.
32. Little Bellhurst, Iden. Two thirds blank. 1877, £40.00.
33. South Harting, Up-park, Compton. Half blank. Two very light stain marks on lower part of map. 1880, £50.00.
34. Elsted, Cocking, Heyshott Green, East Marden. Two very light stain marks on lower part of map. 1880, £70.00.
35. Hoyle, Burton Park, Sutton, Graffham. Two very light stain marks on lower part of map. 1880, £70.00.
37. West Grinstead, Ashurst, Ashington, Thakeham. Two light marks towards lower margin, top margin stained. 1879, £60.00.
40. Newick, Uckfield, Barcombe Cross. Lower quarter damp stained, top margin stained, extending two inches into map area. 1878, £20.00.
41. Framfield, Cross-in-Hand, East Hoathly. Slightly dusty, especially margins, 1 tear to base of fold. 1878, £50.00.
43. Brightling, Vinehall, Whatlington, Netherfield. Slightly dusty margins. 1878, £70.00.
44. Staple Cross, Bechley Furnace, Brede, Sedlescombe, Sedlescombe Street. Ever so slight stain to lower margin. 1878, £70.00.
51. Washington, Steyling, Bramber, Finden. 1879, £80.00.
53. Clayton, Plumpton, Stanmer, Patcham. 1879, £75.00.
55. Laughton, Muddles Green, Damehill Horsted, Ripe. Two very small stains to top margin. 1878, £75.00.
56,. ellingly, Cowbeech, Bodlestreet Green, Boreham Street, Upper Horsebridge. 1878, £75.00.
57. Ashburnham Park, Battle, Crowhurst, Hooe Common. 1878, £80.00.
67. Kingston, Iford, West Firle, South Heighton, Telscombe. Slightly stained lower margin. Part of top and lower margins very slightly creased and dusty. 1879, £65.00.
68. Selmeston, Arlington, Wannock, Alfriston, Alciston. Very slightly dusty margins. 1878, £78.00.
69. Hailsham, Wartling, Pevensey, Polegate. 1879, £78.00.
70. Hooe, Sidley Green, Bexhill, Little Common. Half sea. 1878, £60.00.
77. Southern part of Rottingdean (8 by 3), rest sea. 1879, £20.00.
78. Newhaven, Bishopston, Seaford. Two thirds sea. 1879, £60.00.
80. Willingdon, Eastbourne. Dusty and lightly stained along centre fold, lower margin very slightly creased. 1879, £58.00.
82. Birling Gap Coastguard Station, Beachyhead lighthouse. Mostly sea. 1878, £20.00.